How to cut opal: cutting challenge #3. A customer recently bought a rough piece of opal and was unsure how it should be cut.
He decided to send it back…
Normally we would re-list the stone.Justin decides to take on the opal cutting challenge that he has been presented with.
The video is a long one at 21 minutes but you will see the whole process as well as tips and advice on the following:
- Assessing rough opal for colour.
- How to decide which way an opal should be cut.
- How the dome is formed on an opal.
- What grades of diamond wheels are used when.
- How to achieve that final perfect polish.
For those not keen on cutting opal themselves you will still find the video fascinating as a gemstone is revealed layer by layer – and you will be well on your way to understanding how to cut opal at a pretty expert level!